Sunday, January 4, 2009

It was a miserably cold day, but Ellie and I were getting cabin fever, so I bundled her up in a sweater, skirt and scarf and hauled her down to the Chemung River. Up on the levee, the breezes made us shiver even more, but HuggaMutt was game.
The Chemung itself was blue, blue, blue and not just my camera's settings. The bright sun would change all that, but in the shadows, well, it was daunting. We were too cold to enjoy the sight.
My little dog got ice in her pads, so I bundled her into the car and warmed her a bit. Then I took her down to the boat ramp, just to get a tad closer to the real deal. And it was worth it.
Here Ellie is walking on water. Very thick ice, that is. While she is usually quite cautious, this time the River Dog seemed to think that the ice was more than enough to protect her. For my part, though, well, I got way too nervous to let her enjoy much more than a few seconds on the water.
Mind you, we didn't hear any cracking, even with my weight. Just to be sure, though, I called her in.

As beautiful as the shadows are on the snow, keep in mind that the bright blue sky is a sure sign of absolutely frigid temperatures. Ellie got enough snow in her suit to make her shiver. I took her home and set her before our gas fireplace, where she fell asleep.
And dreamed of summer, no doubt.
pb




No comments:

Post a Comment